So for those who don't already know - I play the horn. That is, I used to play the horn before my time in Africa - I didn't bring it with me out of concern that I would lose/damage it.
Well, I did bring it with me to France, and even though it's been about 2 years since I've played - I really wanted to jump right in and join a community band here so I'd have someone to play with. To this end, I found "L'Orchestre d'Harmonie Municipal de Besançon" - or the Besançon Municipal Concert Band. I found them through their website and emailed the director to ask if I could join.
Well, yesterday was my first rehearsal (their 4th for the season)and so on my 4th day in the city I ventured out with my horn strapped to my back to find the rehearsal space again (I'd scoped it out a few days earlier). I arrived about 30 minutes early thinking I'd be there before most people but that there would be some people already there to introduce myself to - also so I'd have time to warm up a bit. I met Pascale, Marc and André - who were all very friendly. Pascale is the group's secretary and she took it upon herself to introduce me individually to everyone that walked through the door - then the director Daniel made a general announcement to the group before the start of rehearsal that I existed. Everyone was generally surprised to find out I was American (most people guessed Spanish from my name - though I was REALLY pleased when I met Alain - one of the two other horn players. We spoke for about 30 seconds during which I told him I'd just arrived in Besançon - and he asked me "oh, did you move here from the South of France?". Apparently in the 30 seconds we spoke he figued from my accent and fluency that I was French, but from Marseille where the accent is a bit more foreign due to a high immigrant poplation. YES!).
There are 2 other horn players in the group - Alain and Stephanie. They are both super friendly and helpful (Stephanie taught me "mol" and "dieze" (flat and sharp) as well as the names of the various note values "blanc" (half-note), "noir" (quarter-note), "croche" (eighth note), "double-croche" (sixteenth note), etc). I didn't have a problem understanding the directions from Daniel during the rehearsal - though it was funny when in the first hour or so whenever he directed something in our direction he would follow it up with "....can anyone translate that to English?". He stopped when he realized that generally the only person who could translate it was me.
It was so much fun to play with a group again - and I didn't have any issues with my 2 year hiatus (I literally put my lips to the mouthpiece for the first time in about a year at this rehearsal - and really it's been 2.5 years since I played with any regularity). My endurance was a bit weak, but I made it through the 2 hour long rehearsal playing 1st horn with only minor intonation problems (I was playing high B-flats!, or should I say "si mols"?). The music isn't super difficult - but the level of musicianship in the group is fantastic. I'd say the Portland Gay Symphonic Band plays harder music and has better musicians overall - but for a city this size I was amazed at the level of proficiency the group has in general. Stephanie has only been playing horn for a year but she also plays the oboe and cello - three VERY different instruments. Despite her one year on horn though she plays very very well (hitting high Gs with more accuracy than me - then again I am out of shape).
Fun differences in the rehearsal dymanic vs. the US - at the break a few people helped me sort of some administrative issues (I get a "costume" or suit to wear for performances - and as I understand it it's paid for by the organization which is funded by the city). Because it's a municipal band and is funded by the city we're expected/required to play for state events - so I'll be playing in some Cementary on November 1st (all saints day) for an official city event. Anyway, while I was getting my stuff sorted out I realized that the guy who was showing me the forms and stuff was drinking a beer - I'm not sure where he got it but I definitely want one next week.
Anyway, in short - it was awesome and I'm super excited to play with a group again. Stephanie let me know about the University Orchestra's need for horn players and so I'm headed there tonight in an attempt to join that group as well.
Also, have a phone now - number's on fb.
YAY! I am greatly in favor of you getting back to playing horn. :)
ReplyDeleteQue bien que tan rapido encontraste un grupo para volver a tocar el corno. Felicidades!!
ReplyDelete